Who we are
Science Group plc is an international consulting company supporting our clients’ entire product innovation lifecycle. Our services include applied science, product development, advisory and regulatory. These are combined with market expertise in Medical, Food & Beverage, Industrial, Energy and Consumer sectors. We have offices across Europe, North America and China and employ over 400 staff worldwide with fluency in 30 languages. Our team is made up of highly qualified scientists, engineers and regulatory specialists.
The R&D Consulting Division operates through well-established brands including Sagentia and Oakland Innovation, with fees-for-service projects ranging in scale from £10k to £10m and client relationships lasting many years. Clients work with us because we are fast, deeply skilled, challenging and bring a diversity of talent to their R&D programmes.
Recent examples of our R&D Consultancy work have included:
- Design & development of a novel beverage dispensing device
- Advice and research to define an IOT investment program for a Fortune100 personal care company
- Formulation of a new product range for a global beverage company
- Definition of a Minimal Viable Product to help kickstart a new In Vitro Diagnostic business opportunity
- Design & development of a novel cosmetic dispensing device
- Creation of a science & technology strategy supporting a leading pet food company
- Exploration of the surgical robotic market landscape to guide future investment decisions
We are looking for a commercial-savvy and technically-literate individual to lead and inspire the R&D Consultancy Division’s Consumer business. Reporting into the Managing Director of the R&D Consulting Division you will be accountable for our revenue growth in Consumer markets and play a key role in the continued growth and development of the company. The Consumer business is well-positioned for growth with a capable and diverse team, strong key account relationships and proven services spanning advisory and product development. To be successful in this role you will lead business development and client management activities with the objective of making our clients successful against their R&D goals.
You will line manage a small team of marketing, front end sales specialists and account managers, defining and executing the division’s strategy and will represent our full resource to the market. You will be responsible for profitable sales and successful project delivery with long-served clients and newly won accounts.
You will have the opportunity to travel overseas (once COVID restrictions ease) to visit our clients; it is expected that you will be travelling 25 – 50% of your time (UK, Continental Europe and US).
The role will be based at either one of our Harston (Cambridge) or Epsom R&D centres.
Sales, revenue and costs
• Develop and grow our business relationships with Strategic Accounts.
• Promote services to new business targets in order to win new customer accounts. The role will involve a mix of targeted lead generation and client face-to-face meetings.
• Attend and present at industry/sector meetings, webinars and conferences.
• Listen to the needs of our clients and translate these into appropriate programmes of work (in consultation with the Consumer team, skill group managers and consultants).
• Understand and manage the cost of selling and delivering work and allocate resource appropriately.
Leadership and line management
• Ownership of key performance indicators (principally revenue) relating to the Consumer business, with regular reporting on these metrics highlighting opportunities and risks and proposing appropriate courses of action.
• Line management of a commercial team each of whom have significant accountability to deliver on the sales performance of the Consumer business. Regular team management activity such as sales pipeline reviews and ongoing team development (of their commercial skill sets) – intervening to support individuals as required.
• On occasion, this role will include time spent working directly on consulting projects, strengthening our client relationships and oversight.
• Act with senior managers cascading company messages, policies and behaviors
Service offering ownership
• Inspire and promote our strengths as a provider of R&D services to the Consumer market. The Consumer-related work we undertake is particularly varied (and rewarding) and amongst our team we have individuals with distinct talents that clients admire. These work themes and talented staff need to be represented and given a clear mandate inside and outside the company.
• Reflect and revise service offerings as markets and customer’s needs change
• Identify market opportunities where internal IP development could create new service offerings/business models
Experience & qualifications
• An understanding of R&D strategy & execution in blue-chip Consumer businesses
• Experience in a consulting environment
• Customer-facing and selling experience in relationships valued >£1m per year
• Evidence of energy and drive
• Technical degree qualification
We are committed to career development and make a focused effort to offer bespoke training and mentoring to allow each individual to thrive within their environment and realise personal potential.
We offer a highly competitive salary and benefits package.