Frontier Smart Technologies provides technology solutions for the digital audio sector (digital radio and connected audio). The company is the world’s leading provider of chips and modules for consumer digital radios – customers include Sony, Philips, Panasonic, Pure, Roberts, Grundig and several major retailer own-brands. We provide turnkey solutions which enable brands to develop internet radios, wireless speakers and soundbars quickly and cost-effectively.
We are looking for an experienced Embedded Software Engineer, to join our Systems Software Development Team.
We require an Embedded Software Engineer to join the Systems Software Team based in our Harston office. You will be part of a team working on Embedded Platform Software for our DAB and Smart Radio Modules, which enable our customers to create Audio devices incorporating DAB and FM broadcast receivers and a range of streaming standards such as Spotify Connect. The successful candidate will be an integral part of the software development team, working closely with hardware design engineers and test engineers to deliver high quality software.
• An exciting opportunity for a talented Senior Embedded Software Engineer who can demonstrate solid experience in hardware/embedded software integration, systems engineering and system test and debugging, ideally in digital radio/networking related products.
• Good honours degree in Computer Science, Electronic Engineering or a related discipline.
• Excellent C/C++ programming experience in an embedded environment.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Experience working in an Agile environment and are a team player.
You might also have (but not essential) experience of:
• Software development for products in the consumer electronics industry.
• Wireless communication e.g. Wi-Fi, Bluetooth.
• TCP/IP networking and sockets programming.
• Git, JIRA Agile, Jenkins, Bitbucket.
• An understanding of DAB or connected audio technologies.
Key responsibilities & tasks
• Design and Development of embedded software implementing functionality for our audio SDKs, which are used in millions of audio devices worldwide.
• Integration of new hardware and software systems.
• Customisation of software to meet specific requirements to agreed timescales.
• Provision of technical support for developers, partners, customers and suppliers.
• Investigation, reproduction, characterisation and debugging of customer and engineering problems. Development of fixes, workarounds and examples as appropriate.
• Development and maintenance of in-house tools, demo systems, software specifications, instructions, application notes.
A day in the life
The role will be hands on developer, working in an Agile software team, with focus on delivering value to our customers. You will be responsible for developing and integrating a variety of embedded software including drivers, codecs and protocol stacks for use in our DAB and multimedia SoCs in high-volume consumer electronics products.
You will have bespoke training and mentoring to allow you to thrive within our environment and fully realise your personal potential.
You will be offered a competitive salary and benefits package.