Who we are
Science Group is an AIM listed Group that provides independent advisory and advanced product development services focused on science and technology initiatives. We operate at the cutting edge of science and innovation developments supporting our clients under specialist brands which include Sagentia and Leatherhead Food Research. We are an acquisitive organisation with our most recent acquisition of Frontier adding expertise in the Digital Radio and IOT space. Our growth strategy has been affected from cash generated by our profitable businesses and has resulted in Group revenue doubling in 3 years.
We have a global reach, with a multinational and multicultural workforce spanning Europe, North America and Asia with offices and companies across these continents. Our numerous scientists, engineers, regulatory advisors and market experts are supported by the Group’s streamlined central support functions.
The Group’s success is driven by our world class employees; this means that in growing our business we look for exceptional, hard-working and hands-on employees that will flourish in a dynamic and stimulating environment.
We are looking for an In-House Payroll Officer to work 30hrs per week. The 30hrs can be split over the working week, within the hours of 9-17:30. At the busier times of the month, we would appreciate any flexibility to concentrate days worked around those payroll cycle times.
There are 400 employees across the Group. Most of these are UK-based, although there will be input and oversight required of EU and US payrolls. The successful candidate will have complete ownership of the payroll process and will liaise with Finance and HR when required. We require someone to work between HR and Finance and to own the completion of payroll, ensuring it is completed on time and accurately. The role will be based at our Epsom office, occasional trips to Harston will be required.
Key Responsibilities include
• Manage and be accountable for the accurate and timely delivery of the monthly UK payroll through the Sage payroll system, managing the relationship with our external payroll provider (Sage);
• Collecting, calculating, and entering data into a spreadsheet which is then passed to the external Sage payroll administrator;
• Receiving the reports back and collating into various review spreadsheets through pivot tables;
• Comparing and reviewing the data to previous months, identifying and resolving any discrepancies;
• Leading a payroll review meeting with the Finance Manager and HR Business Partners to talk through any payroll changes and discrepancies;
• Liaising directly with employees on various payroll questions (i.e. unpaid leave);
• Maintaining payroll operations by following policies and procedures;
• We understand there may be times where errors have occurred, being proactive and transparent by raising this to the correct individuals and driving the solutions;
• Supporting other in-house payroll officers through reviewing the completion of payrolls in EU (France, Germany, Spain & Republic of Ireland) and the US;
• Responding to employee payroll queries and escalating to the HR Business Partners when necessary;
• Managing and completing adhoc payroll processes (such as out of payroll payments);
• Developing ad hoc financial and operational reporting as needed.
• Must have great attention to detail, a solid grasp of mathematics, alongside excellent organisational and communication skills;
• A high degree of professionalism and discretion as will be handling sensitive information;
• Capable of working effectively and efficiently under pressure in a fast-moving environment, being resilient and proactive;
• Open to changes in the process, happy to contribute process improvement by being solution orientated;
• Comfortable liaising with senior individuals on the payroll process and challenges which may occur (i.e. willing to discuss errors occurring and the solutions to this).
Experience & Qualifications
• 3 years UK payroll experience with 150+ employees;
• Demonstrates previous experience processing high volume monthly payroll;
• Good understanding of the UK PAYE legislation and how to calculate deductions such as overpayments, maternity, sickness payments, tax and NI;
• Experience using various calculation methods needed within payroll (i.e. pro-rating holiday, pro-rating salaries, sick pay, pensions and bonuses);
• An analytical approach to resolving problems and finding effective solutions;
• Advanced skills with Microsoft Excel (including pivot tables).
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package.